Tuesday, March 6, 2018

School Challenges Medical Diagnosis

In Illinois, every three years  children are up for IEP review. At my son’s last meeting, I was asked by the school if I would be updating his medical diagnosis. I said that I would and would appreciate any feedback they would have since we last saw a neurophysiologist four years ago. The school gave me paperwork that said they had concerns about speech and attention.

I took my son to the neurophysiologist where he spent all day testing. The doctor then interviewed me, my husband, and collected the school’s report. She said that she would take the testing, reports, and medical history into consideration when making a diagnosis. The diagnosis was Aspergers/ High Functioning Autism, Written Expressive Disorder, Anxiety, Speech Delay, Developmental Coordination Disorder and Sensory Processing.

Upon receiving the diagnosis, I thought the next part would be easy. I would just take it to the school and find the best plan for my son. It was not so. The school disagreed with the diagnosis and told me he didn’t have Autism. They then said ask to conduct their own testing.

Now, I am confused. I have no idea what is going to happen when their results come in. Can an Educational Psyciatrist change the diagnosis? I will let you know what happens! Believe me, I am standing my ground.

2 comments:

  1. They can't change his medical diagnosis but they can make an educational diagnosis and they don't always match. Its so frustrating! And if their medical diagnosis delay doesn't effect schoolwork, they won't provide services. My oldest just lost speech at school because while he clearly still has a speech delay and the school readily admits he has a delay, his teachers can understand what he is saying and so it isn't effecting his grades so they can't provide speech anymore. Honestly, though, I'm okay with him losing speech at school because their speech therapist is a terrible person (I don't say that lightly but when she is the one saying he's only delayed because he just doesn't work hard enough when everyone, including his private speech therapist, says he works his butt off to keep up with everyone else, then she gets the horrible person label). He has a private speech therapist this year and has made more progress with her in a few months that he has in years with the school SLP.

    sorry, got kinda ranty there. I'm still mad from our last IEP meeting :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for a revolutionary and an outstanding Carpet shampooer! Expecting such a product form Bissell as usual? To meet up your expectations, the company has introduced Bissell preheat 2x revolution this time that is great for deep cleaning of your carpets and for making them new. So, delay no further to read about Bissell Proheat 2x Revolution reviews.

    If you went more just click hear : bissell proheat 2x revolution review

    ReplyDelete