Wednesday, January 3, 2018

More Troubes With the School

Getting a diagnosis is a lengthy and expensive process.  For my child, it was ten tests in a six hour period.

After my son spent six hours testing with the neuropsychologist, and  I spent two hours filling out forms, getting old documents copied, and being interviewed by the doctor, the doctor had one request. She needed a teacher from the school to fill out a twenty minute survey to see if my child has ADHD. She needed the forms mailed quickly since our follow-up meeting would be in 10 days.

So I went straight from the doctor's office to the school to give the teacher and extra half day to fill it out. I told my son to give the form with the note to the teacher. The note told her that the paperwork was time sensitive and needed to be mailed in 2 1/2 days. When the teacher saw the note, she told my son she couldn't do it in that time frame and she was sorry. When he came back to my car with the paper, I was furious. Here I am spending $3,000 on this diagnosis and have already gave 8 hours of our time and she couldn't fill out a 20 minute survey!?

I parked my car and went into the office. I told them how important it was that someone in the building: the physical education teacher, music teacher, art teacher, speech teacher, or homeroom teacher fill this out. I told them that I am trying to get this done before his IEP review and I really need the school's input. The office took the paper and promised it would happen.

Two days later, I received an email that the principal taught my child's math class so his teacher could fill out the survey. I am very thankful for the principal taking action and making this happen. I am disappointed in the teacher and that it had to come to this. This just goes to show you that you are your child's greatest advocate. if you stand your ground long enough, things will happen!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's crazy! Even the teachers I haven't liked very much (six schools over the last eight years between my three kids) completed those surveys very quickly, usually giving it back to me or mailing it out the same day I gave it to them. I think the most I've had to wait was a full day to get it back--the teachers have always made those a priority because getting the diagnoses meant getting guidance on implementing behavior plans which lead to better classroom experiences.

    ReplyDelete