Thursday, March 19, 2015

Meaningful Play (Play Therapy)


When my son first started therapy, the first thing the therapist taught me was meaningful play. Meaningful play means that the play activities I plan at home have a purpose. For example, when my son was struggling with speech and sounds at two years old, the therapist encouraged me to play with a farm set and make animal noises with my son. I would get out the farm, tractor, farmer, and animals. Then, we would play. As we played, I would interact by asking questions and replying to my questions when needed. For example:

 “What animal is that?”

“Is that a pig?”

“What sound does a pig make?”

”Does he say oink?”

“Can you say oink?”

“Look, here is a tractor.”

“What sound does a tractor make?”

“Does it go vroom?”

“Can you make it go vroom?”

 

When asking questions, I would watch for my son’s interest. Whatever animal he picked up, we talked about it. I would encourage him to pick different animals, so we could work on different sounds.

 

Before learning about meaningful play, I would just let my child play with his toys and explore. I still let him do this, but I also incorporate meaningful play activities too. The great thing about meaningful play activities is that you are teaching your child through playing. How fun is that? Play can actually help your child overcome their obstacles!

Whatever your child is struggling with today, try to think of a way to incorporate a fun at home play activity to address that need. You might do this through toys, role play, arts and crafts, dolls, puppets, cooking, building, gardening- the play activities are endless. If you are having trouble coming up with ideas, talk to your child’s therapist on how you can incorporate meaningful play at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment