Friday, April 10, 2015

Our Journey’s 4 year Anniversary


Four years ago, I walked into a pediatric therapy clinic for the first time. My child had stopped speaking and was withdrawing from us. I remember being terrified of the therapist confirming what I already knew in my heart. I remember wondering: Will my child be able to speak again? Will this continue to get worse? Will my child be able to connect with me and others? Will this therapist be able to help us?

I remember the therapist going over the results telling us that she thought it could be PDD, but we would have to wait until he was three to know for sure.

I remember crying for days over the results.

I remember falling to the ground asking God for a miracle.

I remember waiting. Waiting on tests, and waiting to see if treatment would help.

I remember crying in the therapist arms asking if she thought my child would be able to connect to others and have a friend.

I remember wondering how long this journey would be. Could it last his whole life?

Life was hard then. I had so many unanswered questions; I really worried about the future. I wish I could go back and tell myself that it would be okay.

My child did respond well to therapy. At his 3 year evaluation, they ruled out PDD and said it was SPD. Today on his four year anniversary, I look at my child and I see a miracle. Things I was so worried about have been laid to rest.

·        My child is talking in full conversation.

·        He is able to engage with others, does imaginary play, and laughs. Boy, does he laugh! Today he came out of therapy laughing with a friend so hard that they fell to the ground.

·        My child can be very silly. He loves making other people laugh.

·         My child can now self regulate or tell me that he needs help when situations are too much.

·        My child has learned how to adapt to change, and even though some days are hard, most days are great.

·        My child, who would only eat four things, now will try almost anything.

God has been faithful walking beside me this whole time and doing a great work in my child.

I am so thankful for the therapists who have also walked beside us on this journey and showed us unconditional love. Their love and devotion each session has made a life changing difference.

Four years ago, things looked dark. But now, I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, burning bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment