Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Power of a Horse


The place that my son does Equine Therapy holds an annual Barn Dance and Horse Auction fundraiser where horses used in the therapeutic program are auctioned for a sponsorship. During the auction, a parent of a rider will speak on behalf of the horse their child rides. Yesterday, I was asked to speak on behalf of the horse that my child rides weekly. To fully explain the power of this program, I would have to start from the beginning.

When my child was born, I had read all of the books to prepare me for mommy hood. I had bought all of the equipment and baby products including a big container of Germ-x. I also made sure we made it to all of his appointments, where the doctor would tell me that he was mastering milestones ahead of time. By one year old, he had 12 words and he was putting words together by 14 months. Then, in a rapid turn of events, he got sick with RSV which turned into Pneumonia. Once he gained his health back, we noticed that he lost his language skills and began to withdraw. Being a teacher, I knew early intervention was the key. After evaluations, we found out that my son needed therapy for his language development and developmental delays.

I came upon Horses for Healing at a booth during Bentonville’s “First Friday”. I immediately was drawn to it because horses were used as a tool for therapy. My son has always had a close connection with animals. I knew it would be a perfect fit.

For two years now he has worked with the horses. Riding has helped him develop strength, coordination, and has improved his social skills. This year he started skipping and galloping for the first time, something he has longed to do with his peers. He also has gained strength to sit in a chair without propping himself up. Interacting with the staff, volunteers, and horse has helped him with making eye contact and has made him more comfortable with social interactions.

Last night, my son was having a hard night. He was tired and overwhelmed with change that had recently occurred. In the beginning of the ride, he could barely get his words out. At the end of the ride, he was calm and speaking in conversation. He got off of his horse with a huge smile. Watching the power of a horse to transform your child’s mood and help them be able to organize their thoughts into speech is a powerful experience. It was one of our best nights so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment