Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Hamburger- Feeding Therapy


Our family loves to have cook-outs. Hot dogs and hamburgers are a summer time favorite for everyone but my daughter. She has always struggled with eating beef. We have tried everything: cutting it into fourths, eating it dry, trying the meat without the bread, giving her condiments to dip it into, and putting condiments on it.

On the way to therapy, I stopped to get the kids food. I asked my daughter what she wanted, and she said a hamburger. I was glad that she picked it because she was on her way to feeding therapy, and I was secretly hoping that her therapist would perform some magic and get her to eat it.

Before therapy, I talked to the therapist about how my daughter struggles with beef. She will either spit it out or refuse to eat it. The therapist said okay and took her back.

Thirty minutes later, I got texted pictures of my little girl eating a hamburger!!! I was so excited. Her therapist gave it to her in mini- bites (my son calls it "just a pinch of food"). Also, when my daughter struggled with picking it up (due to sensory), the therapist gave her a fork, and she had no problem spearing it!

I am just thrilled. I hope she now will do this at home with me. Summer is coming up and grilling season is around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment