Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Special Relationship


Yesterday, I saw an incredible video about a nonverbal child with Autism. The family had their child in therapy fifteen hours a week. They were trying everything to get their child to engage with them and talk. Through a sequence of events the family ended up adopting a dog. The family already had a dog and didn’t think anything about adding a second dog to the family. As soon as the dog came home with them the little boy started to change. He formed a special bond with the dog and was able to connect with the dog like no one else. Slowly over time, the boy started expressing himself through words and forming connections with other people. The family joked about the dog being the best therapy the boy has ever received.

The story brought me to tears. I remember too well the day my son lost language. I remember the months that he was nonverbal and praying for a miracle. I remember searching for anything and everything to help us out. Still to this day, I am so thankful that my son also gained his speech back and started connecting again to others. For my son, his sister has been a huge blessing in helping him connect. They have a special relationship like no other. I really believe that she has helped him grow socially. When he is with her, he is less anxious around crowds of people and more likely to talk to others. I am so thankful they have each other. I know their deep connection has helped my son form special connections with others as well.

One of his favorite people to be around is non-verbal; however, the little boy does say my son’s name. My son told me the other day that even though his friend doesn’t talk a lot, he knows what he is telling him. They understand each other.
 
Nothing warms a mommy’s heart more than hearing this! I am so delighted in the amazing progress he has made in this journey.  He is now making friends and connecting with others. There is something magical about watching your child bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment