Thursday, January 29, 2015

Super Mom


Today I was talking to one of my childhood friends whose child recently started her journey in the special needs world. After helping her map out a plan and giving her information I wish I would have had, she said to me, “Wow! You are like Super Mom. I just don’t know how you do it so perfectly with dignity and grace. It is hard enough with one, but you have two.”

I was totally taken back with this. I mean what a huge compliment. I never thought anyone would ever consider me a "Super Mom". Most of the time I feel like a “trying to keep it all together mom” because I really just take each day as it comes and make things happen.

As I thought more about what she said, it made me realize how many Super Moms and Dads I know of special needs kids:

·        The mom that is up all night with her child having multiple seizures

·        The dad that is feeding his child through a feeding tube

·        The mom that pushes her child around in a wheel chair

·        The dad trying to calm his child after the tenth meltdown that day

·        The mom that is trying another medication on her child praying that this one works

·        The dad that is taking his child to try a new treatment hoping that it makes a difference

 All of them are living in the moment trying to do their best for their child. I bet they wouldn’t put “Super” in front of their name either.

BUT, they are “SUPER”.

They spend hours each week in therapy with their child. They are regulars at the doctor’s office. They are very involved at the school in parent conferences, IEP and 504 meetings. They are constantly researching trying to find ways to help their child.

They are the strongest and most passionate parents I know. I think their children are pretty super too!

No comments:

Post a Comment