Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Planning for a Vacation with a Sensory Child


Since it is summer time, I thought a great topic would be planning for a vacation with a sensory child. Going on vacation always takes a lot of planning, but going on a vacation with a sensory child requires a little more. Here is my “extra” check off list when planning and packing for vacation.

1.       Scheduling- My children have a hard time with change. When scheduling events, I try to keep their main schedule (wake up time, sensory diet times, nap time, and bed time) the same. I also try to not over book our schedule.

 

2.       Preparing children- Since my children have a hard time with change, we create a vacation countdown calendar to help prepare them for the change about to come. We also listen to a social story about going on vacation.

 

3.       Packing- When packing our items, I have to remember our therapy items for our sensory diets and any extra items they will need to help stimulate them or give them input. Items that I pack include:

 

o    weighted blanket

o   soothing sound machine

o    chewy tubes

o    sour spray

o    critter vibe

o    noise reduction ear muffs

o    therapressure brush

o   food (crunchy/ chewy)

 

4.       Requesting a note- When we plan a visit to a theme park or crowded attraction, we request a note from our children’s therapist, so our children can receive accommodations during vacation. The note from the therapist helps because it gets us a pass to go through the back entrance and avoid crowds.  My son goes into “flight” status when he is confronted with crowds and loud noises. It is very stressful for him. To ease his stress, we put ear muffs on him and place him in a stroller with the shade down. Having the accommodation of avoiding crowds when possible makes the vacation more pleasant for everyone.

 

5.       Researching- Before we go on vacation, I research the theme park or attraction. I find out what rides or places we need to avoid due to sound or sensory overload. I also find out if the place has a spot for us to get away and decompress to avoid sensory overload or a meltdown.

 

6.       Thinking ahead- My son tends to get fixed on a ride, character, or object. It can be very difficult moving on to the next attraction. To help him transition from one event to the next, I let him help me map out the trip. We also form a plan, such as: "If I find something I really like, I will ____.”  Reminding him of the plan we created, tends to help. Another thing that tends to help is to offer a reward for transitioning well.

 

Planning every extra detail for our family has really helped smooth the transition of vacation mode and made our trips more enjoyable. I hope our extra check off list can help you too when planning your vacation. Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment