Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Items Needed to Help Sensory Kids


There are several extra expenses when you have a special needs child. One of those expenses is in therapy equipment. Therapy equipment is not just for therapy. My children need these items daily and throughout the day to help stimulate and regulate them. Here is a list of my most used therapy items:
1.      Therapressure Brush-This is a hand held brush with soft bristles.  Brushing provides deep pressure input. It helps calm down/ regulate my son and awaken/ stimulate my daughter. I brush my children throughout the day. Each brushing takes about three minutes. You can get this product from Super Duper Inc. They have it listed as a pressure brush.

2.      Critter Vibe- This is a handheld stick with a fun character on it. When you turn it on, the character vibrates. The child can hold it, rub it on the cheeks, or even chew on it. It provides sensory stimulation to the mouth and helps calm down my son. It also helps provide sensory perception for my daughter. I bought my critter vibes from Super Duper Inc.

3.      Nuk brush with Warhead’s Sour spray- This brush resembles a baby’s tooth brush and has a textured end. You spray the sour spray onto the brush and place it in your child’s mouth. You then gently move the brush around the mouth and rub it on the inside of the cheeks to provide oral motor stimulation. The sour spray can also be used alone to help your child during a meltdown. I have found both of these items at Walmart. The Nuk brush is on the baby isle and the sour spray is usually by the checkout area. The sour spray can also be found on the candy isle of most gas stations.

4.      Weighted Blanket- This is a fleece blanket that is filled with glass beads to provide weight and help with self regulation. It has helped my son and daughter sleep through the night. We bought our weighted blankets from Sensory Goods. They have great patterns and even better prices!

5.      Compression Vest- This is a vest that your child wears that makes them feel like they are getting a big hug. It helps calm my son’s anxiety and also helps him focus. We got our compression vest through Fun and Function. They also sell affordable weighted vests there as well.

6.      Weighted Stuffed Animal- This is a stuffed animal filled with glass beads. It helps provide self regulation. My son uses on his lap when we fly to help calm his anxiety. He also sleeps with it at night. We bought our weighted stuffed animal through Sensory Goods.

7.      Chewy Tubes and Stixx- These are rubber tubes that help provide sensory input. The chewy tubes are shaped like a “T” and come in different sizes depending upon your child’s need. The chewy stixx look like a small stick and are scented. Both Fun and Function and Sensory goods carry these products.

8.      Swing- This is an indoor swing used to help calm and regulate my children. It is a platform swing with carpet on the bottom. Sensory Goods has great prices on these swings.

9.      Trampoline- This is a small indoor trampoline. Trampolines are great to help with both stimulation and regulation. Both of my children use it. We bought ours from Walmart.

10.  Sit and Spin- This is a toy that you sit on and spin around by using your hands to push you. It provides great vestibular input and helps with both stimulation and regulation for both of my children. I bought our sit and spin from Achievement Products for Special Needs.


I highly recommend purchasing therapy products from Sensory Goods, Fun and Function, Super Duper Inc., and Achievement Products for Special Needs. All of these companies are found online, and you can order from the comfort of your home. They have great prices and high quality products.

I hope my list of the top ten therapy products for sensory kids helps your child and you. If you have a product you love for your sensory child, please leave a comment. I am always looking into new things that will help my children.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment