Friday, June 13, 2014

Sensory Diet


The first time an occupational therapist talked to me about putting my child on a sensory diet, I thought she was talking about food. I had heard of moms putting their special needs child on diets such as gluten free, dairy free or dye free, but I had never heard of a sensory diet. She explained to me that a sensory diet is a personalized plan “diet” that helps your child receive sensory input throughout the day.

My daughter was put on a sensory diet last week and the results have been instant! Both of her therapists yesterday told me that she seemed like a new child. She is being more social and connecting more with people, as well as not acting so resistant to touch. My daughter’s sensory diet includes brushing her to give her deep pressure throughout the day. I brush her four times a day (about every four to six hours). It only takes about 2 to 3 minutes to do. After I brush her, she does one to two stimulating activities for five minutes such as jumping on the trampoline, swinging in her swing, rolling up in a blanket (like a burrito), or massaging her mouth with her critter vibe.

My son has been on a sensory diet since last year. His sensory diet has helped calm his anxiety and normalize his activity level (he is usually real high or real low). My son’s sensory diet includes brushing him twice a day to give him deep pressure. Then, three times a day ( morning, afternoon, and night) he does two to three stimulating activities for five to ten minutes. He has an activity list were he gets to pick which activities he wants to do. His list includes: jumping on trampoline, pushing boxes, swinging on the swing, jumping on squares (hopscotch), massaging mouth with critter vibe, blowing bubbles, spinning on sit & spin, or balancing on balance board.

The thing I love about the sensory diet is that it includes sensory activities that they love to do anyway and feel like play. They laugh while doing their sensory diets and sometimes want to do more. If they want to do more sensory activities that day or want to do an activity longer, I let them. That day they might need more stimulating than the day before.

If you are interested in a sensory diet for your child, I highly recommend you reading Raising a Sensory Smart Child by Lindsey Biel. It can help you think about and plan a sensory diet for your child. Also, talk to your Occupational Therapist and see what they think about putting your child on a sensory diet. They know your child personally and can offer insight that the book might leave out.

No comments:

Post a Comment