Friday, June 6, 2014

You Are Not Alone


I will never forget the day I found myself in a children’s therapy center getting my child evaluated. My son who had been ahead on the developmental milestones (picking head up, rolling over, crawling, walking, and talking) by 16 months was showing regression in speech and eye contact. I knew in my heart something was going on even though several friends and family members told me he was fine and would grow out of it. I honestly felt alone and a bit crazy for not wanting to believe them. As I sat in the waiting room, I was hoping they were all right, and the therapist would come out and tell me no therapy was needed.

An hour later she came out and confirmed my mommy heart that therapy was needed. She also wanted to get him evaluated by an occupational therapist. She told me that several things could be causing this. She talked to me about getting a hearing test and having a dentist look at his mouth to make sure there wasn’t anything medical going on. Then, she talked to me about Autism and Sensory Processing disorder.

After our talk, I picked up my adorable little boy, went to the car, and cried. I was scared about this journey and felt very alone. I knew no one who was going through the same thing. Even though my husband and loved ones tried to comfort me and assure me it was going to be okay, I didn’t feel like they really “got it”.

I decided then to do some research. I read blogs, looked at websites, and joined support groups. On the computer, I found other moms who “got it”. Their journeys encouraged me and helped me through this hard time.

I hope my stories will do the same for you. I hope that you will find help, hope, and encouragement here. You are not alone. I get it, and here is a big hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment