Monday, November 10, 2014

Helping your Child Become More Independent with Self Care Tasks


Some children with disabilities struggle with self care tasks. When I was told that my child’s motor skills where preventing him from “activities of daily living” ( ADL) or “life skills”, I immediately started looking for ways to overcome his challenges. It became a goal of mine to help him become independent and learn how to use a fork, write, go to the restroom, wipe, brush teeth, and get dressed. Here are some things I have done:

1.     Form realistic expectations: If you struggle with this, your child’s therapist can help you. Forming realistic expectations will keep your child from becoming frustrated.  It is important for the child to not get frustrated because that could affect their self esteem. For us, I would expect my son to do the simpler part of the task, and I would assist with the harder task. For example, I would help him get started with his pants but he had to pull them up. Then, would help button and zip if needed.

 

2.     Find out ways to modify: Therapists and teachers are a great resource. Here are some things I do: allow more time, get down on your knees to make eye contact, allow child to sit while dressing to help with balance, find alternatives ways to dress or tie shoes (jacket over head or strings through the knot), create visuals with pictures and words (examples of visuals in bathroom: how to wash hands, steps to going potty), give three step instructions and repeat self while modeling.

 

3.     Encourage: Giving your child positive feedback helps them gain confidence in becoming more independent. I encourage my child through words, a goal sticker chart, and treats. Also, I encourage my children to ask for help, and I help them understand that it is okay to ask for help.

 

4.     Create routines: Routines help a child know what to expect. It also helps a child remember steps to tasks when they are practiced everyday or throughout the day.

 

5.     Discover the source: Discovering that my child had trouble with self care tasks due to motor skills, helped me know that we needed to also work more on motor skills at home. I knew that if I strengthened his motor skills it would carry over to helping him with self care tasks.

 

Everyday my son becomes more independent. I was so excited tonight to watch him put on his pajamas all by himself. Even though some days we still struggle, the days when it clicks, and he does it by himself are definitely worth celebrating! I hope these tips above help your child become more independent too.

No comments:

Post a Comment