Wednesday, November 26, 2014

What to Discuss at Parent/ Teacher Conferences


Talking to your child’s teacher is very important for their academic development.  Research shows that parental involvement increases school readiness, achievement and social skills. One opportunity set aside to talk to your child’s teacher is parent / teacher conferences.

Before Parent / Teacher conferences, it is always important to prepare a list of questions and concerns that you have regarding your child’s education. I always bring my list with me, so I do not leave wishing I would have discussed a missed topic. I also talk to my child about their thoughts and concerns about school, so I know areas I need to address.

Here are some of my questions:

·         What are my child’s strengths and weaknesses?

·         How is my child doing academically?

·         Is my child on grade level?

·         How does my child compare to the others in the class?

·         Can I see examples of class work?

·         How do you grade?

·         What accommodations are you making for my child?

·         How is my child emotionally in your classroom?

·         How is my child doing socially?

·         What can we do at home to help my child progress?

If you have any concerns, be open and honest with the teacher and see if you can form a plan together to solve the problem. The plan might be a few strategies that will help your child in the classroom. After creating a plan, make sure to schedule a follow up conference to see if the plan/ strategies are working.

When the conference is done, go over the conference with your child stressing their strengths. Also, talk to them about any concerns that were mentioned and the plan. Create a reward system at home to help follow up with the plan and note your child’s progress. Then, let your child know that you will be checking in with the teacher.

Make sure that you follow through with the teacher.  A strong parent/ teacher relationship takes a lot of effort but will pay off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment