Monday, July 21, 2014

Brushing Has Made a Huge Difference


Three months ago, I was very concerned about my daughter’s behavior. When she would fall or even scrape her knee, she wouldn’t cry. I also noticed that when other children were mean to her by hitting or pushing on the playground, she never responded.  Her Occupational Therapist told me that it was because she was low registry and has a hard time absorbing the sensory information around her. After explaining to me more about my child being low registry, the therapist thought that it was best to put her on a sensory diet that included the brush protocol at least three times a day ( some children do it as often as every 2 to 3 hours).

 Since we started brushing, my daughter has made huge progress. She is now responding when she falls and when someone touches her. She has also become more verbal since we started brushing. Her therapists have made the comment, “Wow! She seems like a different kid!”

When I brush my daughter, she sometimes loves it and other times she doesn’t want me to do it. During the times that she is being resistant, I try to make it fun by singing a song while doing it. The whole protocol takes about two to three minutes.

Here is how I do it:

I start on her right arm. I put the therapressure brush in my right hand and hold onto her hand with my left hand. Using deep pressure (like a massage), I press down  (firm) starting at her shoulder and go to her finger tips and back up to her shoulder. I do it slowly five times. I do the same thing then with her left arm. Then, I move to the legs. I hold the ankle with my left hand and start brushing from the top of the leg all the way down to the toes and back up the leg five times all around the leg on both sides. Last, I do her back. I hold onto her shoulder and brush down and up starting on the left and moving to the right. It takes five times to cover the back (two on the left, one in the center, and two on the right).

Brushing Tips:

1.     Always remain in contact with the child. One hand stays on the brush and the other hand is touching the child. This allows you to be able to give the child deep pressure.

2.     Brush five times on the arms, legs, and back. DO NOT brush the stomach, face, or chest. These areas are very sensitive and could cause the opposite effect.

 

Our therapist also recommended joint compression activities to maximize the benefits. These activities include: wall push-ups, jumping jacks, and jumping on a trampoline. My daughter jumps on our trampoline for at least five minutes. You can also do gentle compressions by hand if your child is unable to do the activities above.

If you think that your child could benefit from brushing, you should look into the Wilbarger Protocol and talk to your therapist. It has helped children sensitive to touch, children who fear being touch, children with anxiety, children that have trouble with transitions, and children like my daughter. It might help your child too.

No comments:

Post a Comment