Tuesday, July 8, 2014

To the Mom Who Is Having Her Child Evaluated For the First Time


Dear Mom,

            I know how scary it is taking your child to be evaluated for the first time. It wasn’t long ago that I was in your shoes. Months before we walked into the therapy doors, family and friends were telling me “he will grow out of it” and “give it more time”. I wanted to believe them, but my heart told me otherwise.

Listening to my heart, I talked to my doctor, got a referral for an evaluation, and set up the appointment. Before the evaluation, I was so nervous. I had many questions running through my head:

o   Will they confirm my concerns about my child’s development?

o   Will they think I am crazy for bringing my child in?

o   What will happen next if my child needs therapy?

o   What will their plan be to help my child?

o   How long will my child need therapy?

o   How much will insurance cover?

            With these questions pressing on my heart, I got my son out of his car seat, grabbed his little hand and headed to the door. Looking back, I am so glad that I took those first steps into the door. The scariest part for me was the unknown and waiting for the results. The hardest part was finding out that my heart was right because no matter how much you think you are right, part of you wants to be wrong.

            No matter the outcome, be proud of yourself for being a great advocate for your child. The days ahead will get easier, and your nerves will ease as your questions are answered. My prayers are with you as you take that first step.

 

With Love and Support,

A Therapy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment