Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Vaccine Debate


Last night a mom posted a simple question on a special needs support site. She said, “Debating on vaccinated my child. Did you vaccinate yours?” Within an hour she got over a hundred responses. Some people were informative, some were supportive, and some were just ugly.

It really breaks my heart to see people so ugly to each other. No one knows the responders stories who wanted to share with this mom, and no one knows this mother or her situation to judge her for asking a question.  At one time, I too, asked this question. Before my son was one, he was ahead on all milestones. Something changed months after his first birthday. He seemed distant, became nonverbal (only made humming sounds instead of words), and no longer made eye contact. As a parent, I did panic! I spent my nights researching everything. I wanted to know what caused this, and what I could do to help him. One thing that came up a lot was vaccines. I read several stories and watched videos showing the vaccine opinions of parents who experienced the same thing. I researched vaccines, MMR, and mercury in vaccines (thimerosal). Then, I arranged a meeting to talk to my son’s doctor. In the end, I did choose to vaccinate my son, and when my daughter was born, we chose to vaccinate her too. It was the right choice for our family. The pros of getting my children vaccinated, outweighed the cons.

I understand the feeling of being scared and not being able to sleep at night because you want to do the best thing for your child. I know what it feels like to be on your knees praying for God to direct your path in this decision. It is okay and great to ask questions, to debate, and to find truth. No one really knows your battles and the battles of your child like you do. Ignore the ugly, gather up all the information you receive, and follow your heart. I know you too are trying to do what is best for your child. This journey is not easy, but you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment