Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sleep - Some Nights Are Like This


For the most part, my children are now sleeping through the night. The only time we have sleep issues now are when we have “change”. Any change to our normal routine can throw my children off for a few days and sleep happens to be affected the most. The other night it took my son three hours to calm himself to go to bed. I had tried everything we normally do to help him sleep:

·        A regular sleep routine with quiet activities- bath, story, prayer, bedtime

·        Fitted sleepwear

·        Weighted blanket

·        Blue calming night light

·        White noise machine

·        Blinds closed (so there is no outside light)

·        Lavender scent

·        Weighted stuff animal

But, he still was restless. I tried brushing him and an hour later giving him a lotion massage, but he still couldn’t go to sleep. By midnight, my husband picked him up and started holding him in our bed, and he finally fell asleep. I guess the “snuggle” gave him the input that he needed. After he fell asleep, we were able to put him back in his bed, and he slept for nine hours. We were lucky though. Transfers to his bed do not always go this smoothly because he can be very aware of the change of environment even in his sleep, but I think he was really worn out.

On nights that our children just can’t go to sleep, we have snuggled tight with them in our bed or drove around the neighborhood until they go to sleep. The doctor is against my “last resort” methods because she feels that teaches bad sleeping habits, but sometimes you just got to do what will work that night. I know that is not the best parenting advice, but as a special needs parent, sometimes you just have to do what you think will work for your child at that moment.

When working with your child on sleep, know that every child is different. Where some kids need tight fitted clothing, others need loose clothes. Some want it totally dark, and others need some light. I wish there was a list I could give you, but most of this stuff you just have to try and see what works for your child. The most important part is to be patient. There will be a night when they will fall asleep on their own, and nights like I just described will be rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment