Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Having A Successful Picture Day


Pictures have always been a struggle for us. People who have seen our pictures think that I might be joking, but I am not. To get the one picture that I post, I usually have to take 20 pictures or more. My kids are not the" look here and say cheese" kids. Pictures are difficult for us because:

·         My son has a hard time making eye contact

·         The bright flash upsets both kids

·         My children do not have the core strength to hold a pose very long

·         My daughter hates to be touched, so the photographer cannot position her or tickle her to smile

·         Both children do not do well in crowded places or places with much movement

Today, both kids had picture day at preschool. I talked to the director of the school about my kids and their struggle with pictures. The director then made accommodations for us to take pictures early before the other students were around or in line. This would limit distractions and allow the photographer to specialize the photo session, so my children would have a great experience.

The morning of the session we talked about taking pictures. We even played a game called photographer (where the kids took turns being the photographer and taking pictures). Right before we left for school, I tried to do a pretend photo shoot with my son, but he told me, “I only want to smile for the photographer." I really hoped that he kept his word and would smile later on.

Before the session began, I talked to the photographer about my children. She wanted the session to be successful too, so we went over the dos and don’ts. I also brought a plastic container of sour candy to shake to help my kids look and focus. To my surprise, the photo session went well. They both earned their candy! I can’t wait to see the photos. I am so thankful for people who understand our situation and work with us to make sure my children have positive experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment