Friday, February 6, 2015

He Is Really Smart


He is really smart. I have been told this by doctors, therapists, and teachers who rave about his intelligence. This always makes me so proud, but today it left me frustrated. You see, my child is one of the ones in school that will always fall into the cracks, and I will always have to push for him to get any services.

Today, his preschool director questioned filling out our therapy insurance paperwork because my child is so smart. She said that out of 16 kids:

·        he is one of three that is reading

·        he is one of four that can count past 60

·        he is one out of eight that identifies all shapes including pentagons, octagons, cones, cubes

She also told me that even though she does think that he needs speech, he has an advanced vocabulary.

As far as behavior, she said that he is always very polite and a delight to work with. Around large groups of children, he tends to be anxious but will calm himself down and try new things. He also does awesome in small groups.

She thinks he will be fine next year in Kindergarten and doesn’t think that it will help for her to fill out the form. What she doesn’t understand is how much support I give him. He is doing well because I not only send him to preschool, but I do a home school curriculum with him as well to enrich him. I take him to three hours of Occupational Therapy, one hour of Physical Therapy, and two hours of Speech Therapy to help him regulate his system, coordinate his movements, and speak clearly. He is also involved in soccer and gymnastics to work on coordination and social skills.

Believe me, I love that he is smart. I just wish it wasn’t so hard to get him what he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment