Thursday, February 26, 2015

Kindergarten Registration


I can’t believe that my son is about to start Kindergarten!!!  When we first started this journey, all I kept telling myself with every doctor appointment, evaluation, and therapy session was that I want him to be ready for Kindergarten. Now, that day is around the corner.

Last night, I printed off the forms for registration. Not only do parents have to fill out five forms, but each child is given a Kindergarten Readiness Test. I looked over some information that would be tested. I was so excited to see that some skills that he just mastered in the past two months (skipping, hopping, and galloping) were on the motor test. I actually got teary eyed today thanking our Physical Therapist for helping him master these skills recently. I really believe he is ready and will have a successful year thanks to the entire group of incredible therapist who have helped us get to where we are today.

Since my son has anxiety with new places and crowds, I called the school today about doing a pre-walk through before registration day. To my surprise, the school told me that they set aside special times for some of the students that need a calmer environment. They then asked if I would like to make an appointment for one of those times. I said, “Yes! This is such a blessing!”

I am so excited that our school does this. I do not have to worry about my son getting worked up and over-stimulated due to the crowd before testing. Hopefully, this accommodation will allow him to do his best and show them what he knows.

I wanted to share this story in case it helps anyone else whose child could benefit from a scheduled registration time. It is worth calling the school or district to see if it is offered to your child too.

No comments:

Post a Comment