Sunday, February 22, 2015

Providing For Special Needs Children During Sunday School


One of the hardest things for a special needs parent to do is leaving their child in someone else’s care.  You worry about your child’s needs being met physically, emotionally, socially, and spiritually. Last year was our first year that we had an amazing Sunday School teacher. She allowed me to have a peace of mind during my bible study because she got it. She was a mother of an autistic daughter and knew how to care for my son. She knew how hard transitions were and gave him deep pressure when I left. She knew how to engage him. She knew how to calm his anxiety. She even knew how hard change was on my son and would call us a day before she was absent to allow me time to prepare my son for this change. She really was a blessing.

In previous years, the teachers didn’t know what to do with my child. They were volunteers working their shift. Because of the lack of training, these things happened:

·         My child ended up in a different classroom setting than his peers (usually with younger kids)

·         My child got hurt because the teachers were not closely supervising the children

·         My child was avoided and basically allowed to sit in a corner doing what he want as long as he didn’t disrupt anyone

As a church, who can love on special needs kids more than the body of Christ? I understand that some people feel scared to work with children with special needs, but they are only scared because they do not know how to care for them. The church needs to train everyone that cares for children and that training should include children with special needs. Training should include: following a routine, maintaining a calm environment, being careful with physical touch, working strategies for special needs kids (modify environment, have a special retreat space, deep  pressure, chew devices or crunchy snacks, closer supervision), and knowing how to deal with difficulties (behavior management).

Parents should also fill out forms before their child attends Sunday School that shares the child’s needs. Parent should explain strategies that work best with the child. The parent and teacher should also have open and honest communication. Parents are the best teachers and informers on their child’s needs. The church should utilize this when caring for special needs kids.

This year we have also been fortunate to have a great Sunday School teacher who understands my children. She has two sensory children of her own. I think our communication has made this year so successful. I am very thankful for all the love she gives to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment