Monday, December 22, 2014

A Successful Picture with Santa


For four years we have struggled with a successful Santa picture. Our Santa pictures have consisted of fleeing screaming children. Many people have asked me what was different this time. It made me evaluate and come up with a list of the four P’s for a successful visit with Santa:

1.     Prepare- One scary thing about Santa is that kids only see him once a year. To get my kids ready for Santa we had to prepare. The second stores started decorating for Christmas, I began pointing Santa out to my children and talking about Santa. We watched shows about Santa, and even did a Santa craft gluing cotton balls on paper to make his beard.

2.     Practice- Before we had our successful visit with Santa, we practiced visiting with him. We went on a Polar Express Ride with Santa. We ate breakfast with Santa. We visited Santa at the library during story time. Each time I allowed my children to get use to Santa’s presence. I did not force them to go near him. I did talk to them and encouraged them to say hi or shake his hand.

3.     Plan- Create a plan for picture day with Santa. On that day, scheduling is everything. I made sure my kids were well rested and fed. Because being hungry and tired, makes a great mix of crazy. I also planned a specific place for private pictures. My children do not do well in crowds. Crowds add to anxiety and sensory overload. I wanted to create the most calming environment, so my children would feel safe enough to sit on Santa’s lap. Ask around and find out where your child can meet Santa in a private setting.

4.     Participate- Allow your child to participate in the decisions for picture day by allowing them to pick out their outfit, so they feel comfortable. Both of my kids had choices to make the day of pictures. Also, allow them to participate in picking out something they prepared for Santa. I notice that our Santa gifts helped break the nervous tension of the “meeting moment”.

Next year will be the true test to see if we can have another successful Santa visit. But for right now, I am going to frame our perfect Santa picture and call this year a “win”!

No comments:

Post a Comment