Monday, December 8, 2014

Lining Items Up


When playing, my son likes to line his toys in a row. He will make a straight line of blocks or he will line up his money. He likes everything to be in order. But, when he does this, what is he really trying to tell me? According to Angie Voss, OTR and writer of Understanding My Child’s Sensory Signals, my son is trying to get a sense of control and organization. His brain is taking in too much sensory input. His visual system is trying to organize and regulate.
So how do I help my child work through this? I allow my son to line things up but I try to incorporate appropriate play and interaction in what he is doing. If he lines up his money, I will have us walk down his money line counting his money. If he lines up his blocks, I will get out a car and tell him, let’s pretend this is a road.
Also, since I know that he is trying to organize and regulate, I will heavy work and movement. I will tie this into the appropriate play that I mentioned above.
Last since it is his visual system that needs stimulation, I will encourage him to do a visual stimulating activity, such as:
·        playing with a top, spinning light globe, lite brite or kaleidoscope
·        viewing a lava lamp, mobile, projector, bubble tube,  or aquarium  
I hope these ideas help you understand what your child is feeling and how to help him or her. I also highly recommend the book, Understanding My Child’s Sensory Signals.

No comments:

Post a Comment