Saturday, December 27, 2014

Chasing Normal


In my blog post “The Heartache of Comparison”, I discuss how I have a hard time with constantly comparing my child with other children his age. It is hard watching your child struggle. I work so hard trying to give my child every tool (therapy supplies) and support (OT, PT, ST, Equine Therapy, Social Group) to decrease the gap. I hope he will learn coping mechanisms, so one day he doesn’t struggle and hits all of milestones at the same time as other children his age. But, what I have come to find out is that chasing normal (or what I prefer to call ‘typical”) tends to cause heartache and sometimes even envy.

 

“Chasing "normal" will cause you to lose sleep at night, will destroy your marriage, will drive a wedge between your relationships with family members, and will cause you to resent and eventually grow distant from your friends. “-Tameika

 

I don’t want to be one who chases normal. I want to let it go. Because, no matter how close to normal we are, it doesn’t make me love my child any more or less.

When I really think about it, my greatest desire is for my child to be happy. So instead of chasing normal and focusing on everything we need to do to get there, I am going to do something different this next year. I am going focus on how amazing my child is right now.

Right now I am going to celebrate everything about him: his thoughts, feelings, interests, and interactions. I am going to praise his great choices. I will encourage his gentle and loving spirit. I will rejoice in his progress and accomplishments.

I will stop looking around me and look right in front of me at the blessing I have been given because he is pretty incredible. I am one lucky momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment