Tuesday, December 30, 2014

They Tried a New Food


I have a huge confession to make…when it comes to eating, I cater to my kids. For five years, we have been eating things that I know they will eat and like because I hate to see them not eat, gag, spit food out, or even throw-up. I have left the new food trying to the therapist, and at home, give them the non-preferred food only after the therapist has worked on it, and they are comfortable with it.

In three years, my son has gone from having five foods in his diet to being able to eat almost anything that is seasoned only with salt. My daughter still has a limited diet, but it is expanding. This is all due to the amazing therapists that work with them.

When my husband said he wanted to change our family diet in 2015, I got REALLY nervous. I want to live a healthier lifestyle, but I do not want to end up cooking several meals. I also wasn’t too sure about having the kids try new foods at home. But, like my husband, I have been ready for a change.

We decided to try it just for ten days. We pre-made freezer meat and veggie meals for the crock pot. This would make meal time easier on me, and we would be eating healthy.

Last night when I got the food out, I separated the meat and veggies on the kid’s plates, so they were not touching. I also made macaroni and cheese for the children, so they would have a familiar item on their plate.

Both of them ate the macaroni and cheese first, but then they tried the chicken (with sauce on it)! My son said it was yucky, but he tried it. My daughter took four bites! THIS IS HUGE! Hopefully, the next nine days go as smooth as last night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment