Thursday, December 11, 2014

Potty Training: Trouble with Poop


My son was potty trained at 2. Even though he hates wiping due to textures of the toilet paper, we never had a problem with going poop in the potty. With my daughter, it is a different story. My daughter has been potty training for six months. She will pee in the potty, as well as, tell me when she has to pee (she rarely has pee accidents). She will not tell me when she has to poop, so she still poops in her diaper.

This week she actually had her first poop in the potty after I did a lot of reading on our poop problem. I found out that the best time to put your child on the potty to poop is 10 to 15 minutes after a meal, after waking up, and before going to bed. When I put her on the potty at these times, we actually did poop in the potty.

Putting her on the potty during the times above and having her practice pooping in the potty helps her learn the feeling of needing to poop which is different from the feeling of when you need to pee.

When she is on the potty, I have learned to not cheer or give her any attention. My son loved this. My daughter hates it. Cheering and giving her attention (such as talking to her at this time) actually keeps her from going potty. It also makes her very nervous. I am guessing that is part of her sensory defensiveness. She wants me to stand back and give her space. There have been times that she even wants me to wait behind the door. I always listen and respect her privacy (even though I leave a very large crack to make sure she is okay).

If you are also having trouble with your child pooping, here is what I am trying. These ideas have worked with my mom friends:

·         put your child on the potty to poop 10 to 15 minutes after a meal, after waking up, and before going to bed

·         create an incentive (if not cheering, maybe a candy or sticker)

·         respect space/ privacy

·         make a potty basket with books or fidgets for them to hold and look at while on the potty (so they will stay on the potty)

·         tell the poop or pee bye- bye and warn child of flushing, so they will not get upset by the noise

·         create a potty routine poster to practice activities of daily living (pull down pants, sit on potty, wipe, flush, pull up pants, and wash hands)

If you had success with getting your non- pooper to poop and have other suggestions, I am always open to ideas! We are all on this journey togetherJ

No comments:

Post a Comment