Friday, December 5, 2014

Coping with Sounds


My children have a hard time coping with sound. When a room is noisy, my daughter is very clingy and my son hides and covers his ears. Sometimes my daughter will also cover her ears and yell, “Too loud”. The interesting thing is that sometimes they also crave loud things, of course, on their terms. When they are craving noise, they will bang instruments, make loud noises, or blast the radio. It is one extreme or the other. So how do we as a family cope with sound?

1.     We carry noise reduction head phones or ear plugs

 

2.     We have a safe retreat spot for a quiet and calm atmosphere. (This might be a special corner of the house or classroom that has pillows or a tent. It also might be as simple as dividers around the child’s desk or space.)

 

3.     We add curtains to rooms for sound catchers

 

4.     We practice deep breathing and talking through it

 

5.     We created a sound box for times when child is seeking noise

I hope these ideas help your child cope with sounds as well. If you have more ideas, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment