Sunday, September 14, 2014

Do You Consider Your Child Special Needs?


Today I was asked the question if I consider my children special needs kids. The person who asked me had a child with the same diagnosis as my kids and was struggling with the label. She poured out her heart and said, “It is just so hard to think of myself as a special needs mom. My child doesn’t have some of the needs other special needs children have, but he does require special services. Also, no one can see his disability. I think that other parents who really have special needs kids would laugh if they thought that I considered my son special needs. ” I assured her that there is a wide range of people with special needs. Then, I answered her question.

Both of my children have SPD, and I do consider them special needs. I also consider myself a special needs parent with special needs too (I have ADHD, Dyslexia, and Anxiety). The dictionary definition for special needs is “the educational requirements of pupils or students suffering from any of wide range of physical disabilities, mental conditions, intellectual difficulties, or emotional problems, including deafness, blindness, dyslexia, learning difficulties, and behavioral problems”.  Being a teacher, I know that both 504 and children with IEP’s are considered special needs. One of the requirements for special needs (section 504) includes “physical or mental impairment that limits one or more major life activity” (self care, manual tasks, eating, breathing, sitting, walking, communicating, learning, concentrating, or interacting with others).  For my children, SPD does interfere with life’s activities listed above. Because of this interference, my children are in therapy receiving help. In the past three years of therapy, I have witness many magical moments of firsts.

 Even though I am not a huge fan of labels, the label does help my children get the services they need. I am very careful to not let a label or diagnosis define my children. I want them to be defined by their character, and how they love God and others. I also do not believe in a label holding my children back from greatness. With my diagnosis, I went to college (even started working on a Masters Degree), wrote two published books, and taught reading/ language arts for eight years. Looking back it is pretty amazing that the little girl who was pulled out for remedial reading, struggled with tests, took longer to accomplish tasks (due to lack of focus), and struggled with spelling has accomplished so much. I know that I owe my mother for all of the hard work she poured into me. She never once let a label make me think I couldn’t do what I set my mind to do.

If you are struggling with the special needs label, one day you will come to terms with what you believe. We have all been there. It might take time. The most important label now is that you are a mom who loves your child and wants them to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment