Monday, September 29, 2014

Why Are Your Kids In Therapy?


The most common question other than, “What do they have?” is “Why are your kids in therapy?” I get this a lot. It is always followed by, “They look normal. You would never know.” This conversation always upsets me. I hate the word “normal”. I prefer typical. I know that they are saying these things as a compliment, but it always bothers me.

When asked the question, “Why are your children in therapy?” I usually say therapy is very important for their growth and development because it helps their bodies stay regulated, so they can learn. But, it really does much more than that.

Therapy for my children:

1.     Improves their ability to focus

2.     Decreases their need to stim or injure self

3.     Improves communication

4.     Improves socialization

5.     Increases independence

6.     Helps expression

7.     Decreases anxiety

8.     Improves transitions

9.     Teaches choice

10. Teaches how to adjust to change/ the known

11.  Increases strength

12.  Builds confidence

13. Encourages healthy eating

14. Teaches coping mechanisms

And for me, therapy gives me support. It helps me know how to respond and meet my child’s needs. I am so thankful for the therapy my children receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment