Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Power of Role Play, Taking the Fear Out of the Unknown


Both of my children show anxiety towards things that are new. New people, new situations, new items, and new places can get them really worked up. They thrive with routine and schedules, the known.  So when we go to the dentist twice a year or the doctor a few times a year, it is not a fun experience. They go into sensory overload or have extreme anxiety and a meltdown or bathroom trip follows.

A month ago before my daughter went to the doctor, I asked a few moms for advice since our trip to the doctor is always disastrous.  One mom told me to role play at home, and continue to role play in the office. I followed her advice, and it worked!

Before we went to the doctor, we read a book “The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor”. Then, we got her doll and pretended to give her doll a check- up. She knew how to do this from her favorite show, “Doc Mc Stuffins”. The next day, when we went to the doctor, we brought the doll. I then explained to the nurse and the doctor about role playing with the doll, so there would not be anything that was unexpected. So, the nurse asked the doll to get on the scale. She weighed the doll, and then she asked my daughter to get on the scale. To my surprise, she did it with ease! No meltdown! Then, the nurse took the dolls vitals. Following that, she took my daughters vitals. Once again, we had no issues. The doctor came in and did the same thing. She looked over the doll first while explaining to my daughter what she was doing, and then she did it to my daughter. It was our first successful trip, ever! I was so excited that I found something that worked.

Today we are going to the dentist for the first time. We have done our prepping at home, and I hope role playing with the doll will once again take fear out of the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment