Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Using a Multisensory Teaching Approach to Help Your Child


Today when I went to pick up my son from school, his teacher talked to me about how he was struggling in two areas of his school work. I am so glad she brought this to my attention, so I can address those skills at home. Today, a friend of mine asked me what I was going to do to help my son. I explained to her that I was going to do a multisensory approach. She thought that was a great idea to share, so I thought I would blog about it.

A multisensory approach is when you stimulate learning through the senses.  To learn children need to see, hear, and do (touch and movement). This will help the child’s brain to recall the information. Here are ways to stimulate through your child’s senses:

Visually (Sight):

·        Text with pictures

·        Charts/ graphic organizers

·        Flash cards

·        Video

·        Create art

·        Use highlighter

Auditory (Hear):

·        Music / song/ chants

·        Books on tape

·        Reading aloud

·        Computerized text readers

·        Video

Tactile (Touch):

·        Shaving cream/ sand/ finder paint/ salt trays

·        Puzzles

·        Manipulative

·        Build a model

Kinesthetic (Movement):

·        Games

·        Hand motions (count with finger)

·        Big movement  (count as you jump, count as you hop)

·        Act it out

Students with learning difficulties usually excel with a multisensory approach. This will help build confidence and create a successful learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment