Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Trick or Treating with Special Needs Children


Halloween can be a fun time, but it can also be hard on special needs children. Here are some tips to help them get through this holiday.

1.     Prepare- It is very important to prepare special needs children for big events. At our house, we prepare our children in many ways:

·        Create a countdown calendar

·        Make Halloween crafts

·        Read books about Halloween and trick-or-treating.”Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat”, “Spooky, Spooky, Spooky”, “Five Little Monkey’s Trick or Treat”, “Trick or Treat with Elmo”, and “Llama Llama Trick or Treat” are some of our favorite books.

·        Watch Halloween shows that include trick-or-treating. “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”, “Spooky Buddies”, “Clifford’s Halloween”, and “Curious George’s Boo Fest” are some of our favorite shows.

·        Form a trick or treating map. Visuals are a great tool for special needs children.

·        Read a social story about trick or treating:

Halloween is a fun holiday. Many kids trick or treat during this holiday. Before I trick or treat, I put on a costume. Then, I grab a bag. When I am ready, I walk with my parents to our neighbor’s houses. I ring the door bell. I say, “Trick or treat.” I hold open my bag. The neighbor puts different kinds of candy or a treat in my bag. I say, “Thank you.” Then, we walk to the next house. When my parents say it is time to walk home, I listen. I go home and look at all of my candy and treats.

 

 

2.     Find the right costume- The right costume can really make a big difference in how well the night goes. Make sure that the costume fits the child. My son prefers tight clothing where my daughter prefers loose. My son also prefers wearing a mask. It calms his anxiety. Have them pick out and try on their costumes to make sure it is comfortable. Don’t forget to think through all aspects of the costume before picking one.

 

3.     Practice- Practice makes a child feel comfortable and calms anxiety. We practice ringing the door bell of our own house and saying, “Trick or treat”. We also practice at small community events like our church “Trunk or Treat”.

 

4.     Routine- Try to fit trick or treating into your routine. This event should be planned around dinner and bed time routine.

 

5.     Notify Neighbors- If your child is on a special diet or is non-verbal, notify your neighbors of your child’s needs. You can even give your neighbor a special item to hand your child, so they can still participate in the fun.

 

6.     Monitor- Monitor your child, and see how they are handling Halloween. You might need to do fewer houses than expected or go earlier to avoid crowds. Make sure you are prepared to change your plans, and have therapy equipment available. For example, your child might need a calming device such as a chewy or noise reduction head phones. You know your child best. If you see your child is starting to have a hard time, try to help them work through it before a meltdown occurs.

 

Halloween is a fun time for all. I hope these tips will take the fright out of the night. Happy haunting, and Happy Halloween!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment