Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Getting Through the School Doors- Part Two


On the 12th day of school, my son gave to me a perfect stress free drop off! This is huge! Last year it took 27 days before he was able to walk into a classroom and feel comfortable enough to put his things up and get started on an activity. I say this to give hope to the parents whose children are struggling to adjust to the school routine. I know how hard it is watching your child get worked up about just getting through the doors. I have watched my son run to the restroom (feeling sick), or start stimming or go into OCD repetitive behaviors to ease his stress. I get it, and totally understand how torn up you are as a parent watching it. Every. Single. Day. My hope and prayer for you too is that each year it also gets easier on your child.

With this said, here is a new idea (to add to my previous ideas “Getting Through the School Doors”) that we tried today, and we will continue to do every school day for the rest of his school years. We took him to school early. We went before anyone else was there. He had his own warm up time and didn’t have the distractions of the other people interfering.

With no one around, he was able to walk in, hang up his things, and start his routine. By the time the other children came in, he was so focused on what he was doing that they didn’t bother him.

It was such an incredible feeling to walk out of the school doors today claiming a victory. I felt like doing the V-I-C-T-O-R-Y cheer. Today was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment