Saturday, September 13, 2014

Public School, Private School, or Home School


My son is smart, and I am not saying that just because I am his mother. He is really smart. His cognitive scores were a year and a half higher than his age. So, why does he struggle in a Pre- K classroom of fourteen kids? The noises and movements in a classroom distract him from reaching his full potential. As an educator and his mother, I wish classrooms were not as crowded and busy. Due to funding, our system tries to max out each classroom with students instead of making the student / teacher ratio realistic for everyone to be at their best. And when I say everyone, I mean the teacher too. Teachers are stretched thin when classrooms are crowded. For this reason, I struggle with the decision next year to send my child to public school. This is why I am researching our options and the pros/ cons to each.

Public School

Pros

Already paid for through taxes

Special Needs programs in place – 504/ IEP

Special Needs Staff for facilitating

Experienced educators with teaching degrees / certificate

State mandated Curriculum and testing

Family is connected to the community

Sports programs

Music / Fine arts programs

Diversity of students

Transportation

Choice in clothing

Cons

Several children in the class

Classes taught at mid level unless teacher decides to differentiate for students

Peer problems

Busy work

 

Private School

Pros

Less children in the classroom

Social interaction

Religious education

Set curriculum

Better books and supplies due to more funding

More technology

Great fine arts program

 Cons

High tuitions and many additional fees

No Special Needs Program

Classrooms do not have extra staff for facilitators

Teachers are not required to have a teaching degree or certificate

Application process- family interview, entrance exams

Not as many sports available

Lack of diversity of students

No transportation

Uniforms

Home school
Pros

Classes on your schedule (you can set around therapy times)

One on one instruction

Undivided attention to meet child’s needs

State Curriculum (K12) – free

Choice in clothing

Closer family relationship

Able to extend learning with extra field trips

Emotional freedom (no bullies, big crowds, pressure)

Well rested kids

No busy work

 Cons

No social interaction/ feeling isolated

More responsibilities for the parents

No Sports or Fine Arts Programs

 
Looking at this list, I am still not sure what the best fit is for us.  I never thought I would be looking at other options for schooling. I loved teaching in the public school system, and I always saw my children at my school. My prayer is that God may guide us and clarify the right route for us to take. That route might mean trying public school to see if it is a good fit before exploring other options. I do not know. I am glad I have almost a year to sit on this. In the end, all I really want is for my child to reach his best potential and be the best he can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment