Friday, September 26, 2014

Using Cord Blood to Treat a Child’s Disability or Disease


Five years ago, while I was pregnant with my son, my OBGYN approached us about storing my baby’s cord blood upon birth. Due to the cost of this procedure, we decided to do some research to make sure this was the right choice for us. During my research, I found out that cord blood can be used to treat cancers, blood disorders, immune disorders, metabolic disorders, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, pediatric stroke, traumatic brain injury, and hearing loss. After reading the lists of treatable disorders and diseases, I watched videos of children making a remarkable recovery after a cord blood transplant.

One of the videos, about a little girl named Chloe Levine, really stood out to me. Chloe had Cerebral Palsy, and at one year old, her parents were told that she would never be able to use one side of her body. In the video, you saw Chloe scooting and unable to hold things with her right hand. Her parents were determined to help Chloe, so she underwent an experimental procedure at Duke University where she was infused with her own cord blood stem cells. Her parents stated that just a week after the treatment Chloe started speaking. Then, the stiffness in her right side started disappearing. Now, Chloe is able to walk, run, do sign language, and talk.

Ironically, as I watched the video, I noticed that my friend’s son showed the same signs as Chloe. He too was diagnosed with Cerebal Palsy, and at this point, had tried Botox. After showing my friend this video, they contacted their cord blood company, CBR, about a treatment. Just like Chloe, he made a remarkable recovery. His video is now featured on the CBR site.

When it came time to give birth to my son, we did bank the cord blood. To me, it was like an insurance policy that we couldn’t risk not having. Many parents of children with disabilities do not know that this treatment is available. If you did not store your child’s cord blood, and he or she is diagnosed with one of the disorders or diseases above, you can contact CBR for a donor treatment. If your baby has been identified at pregnancy or birth with one of the treatable diseases or disorders, you can be eligible for the Newborn Possibilities Program that helps provide free cord blood.

I am so glad that I watched Chloe’s video that day, and got to share her story with my friend. And today, I am glad I got to share it with you. I think it is very important for all of us in the special needs community to keep sharing, so we know all of our options out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment