Saturday, August 30, 2014

Helping a Child Work Through Tactile Defensiveness


On Monday we went to the doctor for my daughter’s two year old check up. She had fun in the waiting room messing around with her brother and walked like a big girl back to the room when a nurse came and got us. The second that the nurse tried to take her temperature everything changed. My child who was happy and calm, hyper-flexed her body (her body became straight and tight) and started screaming. There was nothing I could do to calm her down. From there on, it only got worse when the doctor then came in and tried to listen to her heart, check her ears, weigh her, and get her measurements. It got so bad that my daughter started hyperventilating. The doctor backed away and gave us some space. In twenty minutes, my daughter did calm down. The doctor came in and asked me some questions about my daughter’s behavior. I talked to her about how my daughter does not like to be touched, she avoids contact with other people and children, she will take off her clothes because they are ouchy, she avoids certain textures, there are times when she avoids being picked up/hugged/cuddled (even with mom and dad), she hates water/ cloths on her face, and brushing her teeth is a struggle.  

The doctor then talked to me about Tactile Defensiveness (TD). Tactile Defensiveness is when a child has a negative response to tactile stimuli that others think is non painful. Children that have Tactile Defensiveness can be aggressive, cling, run away, or freeze. My child will scream and get stiff or cling. Sometimes she will freeze and be silent. The doctor said that since my daughter was hyper- responsive and hyper-sensitive, she wanted to see her again and possibly refer us for more testing to make sure she only has Sensory Processing Disorder. For now, she said to talk to our Occupational Therapist for ideas of things to do at home. Here are some ideas I got after talking to our Occupational Therapist:

1.     Sensory Bins- each bin has a different textures such as rice, beans, spaghetti, sand, shaving cream  (I have a detailed list of bins on my blog that I have done in the past)

2.     Facial massages with hand and critter vibe prior to washing hair (with water)or face (with towel)

3.     Brushing- with firm/ deep pressure- straight down deep pushes on the arms, back, and legs (I have a detailed explanation of this on my blog)

4.     Compressions

5.     Do not approach child from behind and ask to touch child or give a prompt that you are about to touch child- “Can Mommy hold you?”

6.     Minimize time in line or have child stand in the back of a line

7.      Try weighted blanket/ vest or compression vest (my child HATES this)

8.     During bath time encourage child to use a cloth or sponge. If this is too much, put a fun sponge in the tub for play.

9.     Heavy work activities- pushing/ pulling activities (such as pushing laundry basket), jump on trampoline, swing, rock on rocking horse, or carry heavy backpack

10. Encourage child to pay with their food and make meal time fun

As parents, we want a quick fix when we see our children struggling. I know after our appointment, I want to “fix it”. The reality is that there is no quick fix, but there still is hope. Things will get better. It just takes time. Showing up to therapy and working on these things at home can help your child progress a little faster. Right now, it can feel a little discouraging, but I can’t wait to look back at our six month appointment with our doctor and see how far we have come!

No comments:

Post a Comment