Friday, August 1, 2014

To My Son’s Teacher


Dear Sweet Over-Worked Tired Teacher,

I know how hard the beginning of the school year is for I was once you. You are overloaded with the stress of trying to get your classroom ready, planning your first month, getting to know your children, and going to meeting after meeting. You are working late nights and not getting much sleep. It is easy to get into a fog and pass the 504 meeting off or go into robot mode of check, initial, sign. Being on the other end of the table really changes things.

Please know that even though I might come across as “that parent” I am here to advocate for my son. He is my world, and I want the very best for him and his education. We have been waiting for this meeting. I want to work with you to ensure his success. Let’s listen to each other and be a team. We are counting on you to put the modifications/ accommodations in place and monitor them. I don’t want my son having it easy, I want him to learn the value of hard work, but I don’t want him to struggle. We have confidence in knowing that you will find the perfect balance for him.

Please also notice his strengths. He is funny, smart, and the sweetest boy you will ever meet. As teachers, it is easy to get so caught up in what they need help with, and what they are doing wrong that the strengths get pushed under the table. It is so important that you praise his strengths. It will help him thrive in your classroom.

We have worked so hard for the start of school. He is excited and ready to greet you with open arms. We know that this is going to be a great year.
                                                                                                                      Sincerely,
                                                                                                                                  A Special Needs’ Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment